Sunday, March 29, 2009

the dust bowl


an exchange I had with a friend today:

friend: I was so bored today that I went and saw a free 30s era movie on the Great Depression at the State Theater....by myself.

me: seriously? did you bring a sack full o' jack rabbits and let them loose in the theater to add to the authenticity of the experience?

friend: I knew I should have spoken to you before going to the movie. I only thought to sneak in a carrot as a snack.

me: a completely reasonable movie snack (...) I'm sure that the loud crunch of biting into said carrot wasn't at all annoying to the only other person that went to see that movie. (btw...I'm picturing you noshing on a full sized carrot complete with a green leafy stalk on top....not to be confused with it's more popular baby-sized cousin)

friend: Actually, the theater was filled with old people and, yes, it was a full sized carrot.

me: naturally.

friend: It wasn't until I took my first bite that I realized the irony of eating an unwashed root vegetable at a movie about the Depression...

No comments:

Post a Comment